Lasheilangling

An Abundance of Katherines
John Green
Lucky
Alice Sebold, Claudia Valeria Letizia
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith The first part of the story is actually fun and sweet, I almost thought of what will happen if I have the same, sort of, scenario when I board on a plane and encounter an adorable, cute, friendly English dude who will most likely swoon me over, not just by his accent (and I swear, I'm imagining my reaction if I hear it--boy, oh, boy, I think I will be in big trouble.) but by his quirky banters and easy going attitude that will eventually sweep me off my feet. I have no problems with Hadley and Oliver being together, even they both have their own personal baggage to carry, heck, if they live happily-ever-after though the ending of the story is quite vague, leaving the readers to think of what might happen to their future, then so be it...but I think the story isn't really focused with love at first sight, it's about forgiveness and acceptance.

Now for the not so fun part. I was actually torn with Hadley's and Oliver's baggage--it's a coincidence that the emotional turmoil they're experiencing as of the moment both involves their fathers. I actually felt Hadley's sadness and bitterness towards her father, it felt as if I was also betrayed and cheated. Fine, it was almost two years since her father left them and though phone calls have been exchanged, but I don't think, if I was in Hadley's position, I can forgive him right away without even telling me in person what really happened and why he left me and my mom on that particular Christmas day for good, heck, I haven't seen him for a year and now he wants me to go to his wedding with the woman who stole my father and broke my family? Uh-uh, I don't think so. Two years is quite enough time to cover the details and enlighten me up (I'm still on Hadley's shoes, okay.) and give me time to grieve over what was broken and try to pick up the pieces and see if I've forgiven him and accepted the fact that my once perfect family was already dissolved and it's time to move on. To think that I was supposed to be close with my father, I was left alone in the dark, clueless and baffled to the dissolution of my parents marriage and no one even bothered to explain what the heck really happened, all I know my dad cheated and now he's getting married. Almost twenty-years of marriage and 'the professor' just stayed in London to teach in Oxford for a semester and with that he decided not to come home and divorce his wife right away because he fell in love. With another woman. Who's prettier and younger than Hadley's mom. Right. Love isn't supposed to make sense. It's completely illogical, right. But marriage and commitment? They have to make sense and be logical between two people, especially on their situation because they have a kid. Oh shit, did I actually said that? What the heck do I know about it anyway? But still, I don't like what Hadley's father did, he might be a good man and a good father but I have a thing with betrayal and I can't tolerate that kind of behavior. Sure, if his dad stayed married with her mom but he's sneaking off to his woman behind her mom's back is a completely heavier crime (just like what Oliver's dad did), I mean, yeah, for four months that's what he actually did, but, what I'm really after is the honesty and not leaving me in the dark just because I was just a kid and I don't have to snoop around with the adult's personal businesses. Inviting Hadley is kinda a low blow to her dad's part especially if he's not completely forgiven to what happened, and as for her mom, what the heck? You shouldn't force your kid to go to her father's wedding just because he's her dad! He cheated to the two of you, well, in case you've forgotten that fact? And woman, if you actually love that dentist, come on, say yes, three romantic marriage proposals and still a no? Don't lead him on if you're not ready yet, hell, stop dating him if you will say 'NO' to him every time he proposes. Gurl, if you still have unresolved issues with your ex-husband, it's okay to have your alone time...at least you're not hurting anyone by giving them false hopes and aspirations for the future. And yeah, it's up to Hadley to decide if she'll go to her cheating father's wedding or not...well, if she didn't actually go, she will not meet Oliver anyway. I think that's the other aspect of the book: Fate and Serendipity (UMAYGAS, I did say that. WHHHHHYYY?) If Hadley didn't missed her flight, if she wasn't late for only friggin' four minutes (Seriously, DA FAQ is that?) what would most likely to happen? HUH? I'm not a love guru or something, but, DAMN, this story is kinda depressing and I so want to fix it. DAMN.

It's a 2.5 stars for me, this was supposed to be four stars because of the fresh and sweet start...but then came Hadley's issue with her father and her softening up in the end, heck, call me a bitch, but I want to see him suffer first until I call it quits. HAH! He wasn't there to witness Hadley's mom breaking down, crying herself to sleep every night for six weeks. Why the heck I'm so affected? I. CAN'T. EVEN. I think I can sleep now. I still have conflicting thoughts with this story, I was supposed to be a peace-loving and rational gal but heck, I really want to bitch-slap or punch 'the professor's face if he's in front of me.

Here's my favorite quotes in the story:

Is it possible not to ever know your type--not to even know you have a type--until quite suddenly you do?

There's always a gap between the burn and the sting of it, the pain and the realization.

You can't survive a rift that big without it leaving a mark.

She wishes that it were true, all of it. That it were more than just a story. That it were their story.

It's easy when you find the right person. When you're on the other side of it, fifty-two years can seem like fifty-two minutes.

Not everyone makes it fifty-two years, and if you do, it doesn't matter that you once stood in front of all those people and said that you would. The important part is that you had someone to stick by you all the time. Even when everything sucked.

It was all his fault, all of it. And yet her hatred for him was the worst kind of love, a tortured longing, a misguided wish that made her heart hammer in her chest. She couldn't ignore the disjointed sensation that they were now two different pieces of two different puzzles, and nothing in the world could make them fit together again.

Is it better to have had a good thing and lost it, or never to have had it?

Parent aren't always right about everything, sometimes it just takes a while to figure that out.

Well, I guess we can't all have epic loves at such a young age.

Someone once told her there's a formula for how long it takes to get over someone, that it's half as long as the time you've been together.

He's like a song she can't get out of her head. Hard as she tries, the melody of their meeting runs through her mind on an endless loop, each time as surprisingly sweet as the last, like a lullaby, like a hymn, and she doesn't think she could ever get tired of hearing it.

"If you love something, set it free"
"What if he doesn't come back?"
"Some things do, some things don't."

After all, it's one thing to run away when someone's chasing you. It's entirely another to be running all alone.

Love is the strangest, most illogical thing in the world.

There are so many worse ways to lose somebody, things far more permanent, things that can cut so much deeper.

Love isn't supposed to make sense. It's completely illogical.

The not saying can balloon into something bigger than words themselves.